Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


          So, I finished it.  For four years Malden Reads has been having one city come together and read one book and for the first year ever I did it!  I read it and I plan to attend the movie viewings, community dinners and book discussions that go along with this fascinating book.  
         The thing about choosing one book for the whole entire city is that it is hard to find something that everyone will be interested in.  And I must admit had it not been for the Malden Reads initiative I probably would not have picked this book off the shelf.  I mean I LOVE the fact that it deals with race relations in the United States both now and during the 1950s and 60s.  I was not so sure I'd be interested in the ethical medical questions such as what should doctors do with tissue that is removed from your body?  
       When I was having my first baby I spent a long, hot evening discussing if I was interested in taking my placenta home from the hospital with me, and although there are very good reasons to do so, I think that debate really satiated my appetite for live tissue disposal.   
       However, it turns out that there are many medical mysteries at play in this book and it is worth the read if you are interested in cancer treatment, medical ethics and/or racial reconciliation.  This book opened my eyes to the complexity of finding a cure for cancer, encouraging medical research while avoiding avarice and to the power of a daughter's love for her mother.  It was an amazing story that was full of twists and turns.

 Luckily for you I  have another copy of the book to give away:)  If you are interested to read this book for free.....
1. Leave a comment stating what intrigues you most about the book and why...
a. The history of race relations in America during the 1950s and 60
        b.The search for a cure for cancer. 
        c. The ethical dilemmas related to experimentation on live cells
2.  like Penned but Not Published's FaceBook page 


No comments:

Post a Comment