Monday, March 17, 2014

My Life in 100 Words

I have always, always aspired to be in Reader's Digest.  I'd love to have even a letter to the editor published, let alone one of my anecdotes I so often submitted to them as a middle and high school writer.  I gave up on it for a while but recently I came upon a contest that was just too good to pass up. 

Reader's Digest - 100-Word True Story Contest
Write a story about your life in 100 words or less and you could win $5,000 and publication or other prizes in Reader's Digest's 100-Word True Story Contest. 
Entry Frequency: Unlimited entry per person 
End Date: March 14, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. ET 
Eligibility: USA, 18+

Here is what I submitted:


Crouched low and breathing hard, he peered around the corner just in time to detect the shadow that leapt toward him.  He wielded his sais expertly to deflect the onslaught.  He tucked and rolled.  As he rose he felt a searing pain pierce his abdomen.  He clutched his stomach and ran, shaking off armor and weaponry.  It was too late.  A pool was forming at his feet.  He called desperately, “Help! Mom, I so sad... I peed my Ninja pants.”  Hot tears burned his three year old eyes.  I found him struggling out of his soiled clothes, humiliated by defeat.




My Favorite Ninja

No comments:

Post a Comment