Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Lay Awakes

I love that the guest blogger of the week is THE LAY AWAKES!   They are "an acoustic pop duo based in Brooklyn, NY, with roots in the Canadian prairies and small town Ontario.

ANNA PADDOCK (piano, vocals) grew up in various states and provinces, but her family ties reach back to rural Manitoba.  Her musical roots trace back to classical piano studies and the inspiration of dance and theatre, which led her to study music at Trinity Western University and composition at New York University. During this time, Anna began writing songs, released her first solo album in 2013, toured in Canada and the US, and most notably opened for Paul Simon at New York’s Beacon Theater.

PATRICK ANDERSON (guitar, vocals) was born in Edmonton, Alberta, and grew up in Fergus, Ontario. His music lineage goes back to the family campfire and songbook. He studied music at Vancouver Community College and at Hunter College in Manhattan. Patrick spent many years representing Canada in wheelchair basketball and is a three-time Paralympic gold medalist. 

Anna and Patrick formed The Lay Awakes in the fall of 2014, and immediately began working on an EP with producer Jeremy McDonald (Kevin Garrett). The independent self-titled debut was released in July, 2015."    

I posted "Hush" by Anna Paddock on this blog almost 2 years ago and today I'm posting Hush Revisited because I still love it, perhaps even more as performed by The Lay Awakes.   So without further ado...
HUSH
(Anna Paddock)
Hush, I've heard enough
You're like a disease and I don't need this
Hush, say no more
You come like a thief and I don't need you
People say we'll fix your head
Just swallow this pill
It'll get easier
I tell myself, get out of bed
You cannot be ill
But all I hear is
Voices, voices
I hear voices, voices, voices
Closing me in
Hush, don't rear your head
You're like a disease beginning to spread
Hush, you've made your point
You come like a thief to kill and destroy
And people say we'll fix your head
Just swallow this pill
Statistics say, you're one in ten
But all I hear is
Voices, voices
Voices, voices, voices
Closing me in
God I can't think when I hear
Voices, voices, voices
Closing me in
Hush, it's time you go
You're like a disease killing my soul
Hush, you've said too much
You come like a thief and you've taken enough

 




No comments:

Post a Comment