Sunday, May 30, 2010

Forty

This is my fortieth post. In keeping with my obsessive tendencies, I'm glad that it's a multiple of ten because that makes my mind easier about writing the post I am about to compose... my last post for a while.

As you may have gleaned from my last few posts I have been caught up in an incredibly busy season, between teaching, graduate school and other wonderful opportunities to volunteer and learn I have negligible time to write. So, I have to admit some bad habits I've gotten into, and I apologize for them in advance:

#1 I have thrown together my posts. They have recently been almost streams of consciousness off the top of my head, which have their place but are not what I originally intended for the blog.
#2 I have neglected reading and commenting on other's blog which I usually cherish reading and pondering. I believe blogging should never be one sided and I have not had the time to reach out like I've wanted to.
#3 I have been dreading writing rather than eagerly anticipating it. Maybe it is the lack of time, maybe it is my knowledge that I am posting rough sketches and ideas instead of something I am proud of. Either way, I do not have the same joy about blogging as I did at first.

Considering all of this, I have decided to take a hiatus from the blog for a while. I am not sure how long but I don't think it will be forever. I think this will have some wonderful benefits, since I will have time to slow down and think, listen and create under no deadlines. Still, I know I will miss the community that has formed here. I treasure all of the comments I have received and as I think over the last few months of blogging the following benefits have sprung to mind:

#1 The wonderful friends I have met and the loved ones I have reconnected with. This sense of community and support has been priceless to me, so thank you all.
#2 An appreciation for the various styles and blogs that are out there. I have read so much wonderful content simply because someone commented on what I had to say, or introduced me to a blog I might like. It really opened my eyes and broadened my horizon.
#3 A chance to practice my voice in writing without criticism or ridicule. I was a pleasure to weekly spill my thoughts and feeling in a genuine way, that allowed me to find my own voice.

So, thank you all for listening, commenting and caring. I will be back at some time, in some form, and I will still be reading and following your blogs I hope. Thank you again.
-Kate

4 comments:

  1. Wow...I'm suprised and will miss reading up on your life and ideas but obviously you have thought it over alot. Let me know when you are back up and running. I am excited to see you soon and I hope that breaking from the blog will also allow you more time for your work in progress, can't wait to hear how it is coming. Love you always one more.
    ~anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate,
    This sounds a lot like what I'm feeling at the moment - especially #2 and 3. I'm going to keep on going for a while, but a break might be in order here too. I wish you well, and do hope to see you back again sometime.

    PS Your posts never seemed like they were 'thrown' together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne- Thank you for being such an encouraging sister and reader:) I've loved every comment you've made and I will be sure to let you know when I am back up and running.

    Deborah- How can I thank you for the constant support I've received from you? I have truly valued everything you have written here and on your own blog. I hope that you too will be able to find great joy in your writing this summer! I look forward to blogging with you again (hopefully soon). Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A hiatus sounds like a good idea. I have been on an extended one for quite a while. For me I'm not sure if blogging is going to be the mode for me. This is especially true because I post and respond biweekly for my classes at Trin. I enjoy that a bit more because the topic and readings are set. Perhaps an overall theme or outline for picking up the blog again will make it less of a chore for you. i admire your discipline and hope that you keep writing in what ever form it takes and that i am invited to read.

    ReplyDelete