Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ocean Thoughts

As I sat on a stone wall overlooking the ocean, I contemplated the majesty of the waves. The sound of their crashing brought me a strange thought- the waves have their effect because they break up, they fall apart.

The end of the wave is what has the power to change the face of the shore, to erase footprints and rearrange rocks. After the crest of the wave closes out, the whitewater comes bounding in like small shaggy dogs, tearing up the sand beneath them. Then the frenzy suddenly smoothes out into a taunt brow.

I knew there was a lesson in this (as my dad would say) but I could not figure the meaning out. And then, I talked to a dear friend who had just faced a bitter disappointment. Through my conversation with her I realized that we are not powerful people because we hold it all together. It’s in our most broken and thrashed moments that we show our true strength. I found such freedom in this thought.

One minute we think we have it all figured it out. Then, in the next moment, we come down from the crest of expectation into the crushing whitewater of disappointment. It’s in that swirling confusion that we change. Usually when we least expect it, peace comes and begins to smooth out all that remains. It is a process, a terrifying, awesome and transformative process.

5 comments:

  1. agreed! Thanks for the reminder my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this post. it is so full of truth. One of my favorite things is to find the beautiful sea glass that this turbulence creates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow katie I that is such a perfect image to explain that truth...honestly I probably knew, in my head, the truth of being broken being tied to strength; but that metephor resinated with my heart...good writing is able to do that. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand this. But I don't like it. I don't like the breaking and the way it is essential.

    We were made for a world where there would be no breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your comments. Each one was quite an encouragement. Cassandra, I especially appreciated your honesty on the subject. We truly are made for a world with no breaking.

    ReplyDelete